Skip Navigation Download Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view PDFs.
Man looking out a brightly lit window

Financial Learning Center

Selling Investment Property and Vacation Homes

Like-Kind Exchange

If you want to remain in the rental real estate business, but want to unload your property for a different one of similar characteristics, a like-kind exchange may be a possible solution. To keep it simple, a like-kind exchange allows you to swap your property for one that is similar, while deferring taxes on any gain. A real estate broker that specializes in these types of exchanges may be able to help you find a property that meets your objectives.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before going through with the swap, consult a tax professional and a real estate attorney experienced in this area to ensure that the exchange meets the complicated IRS rules governing the transaction.

SUGGESTION: Like-kind exchanges are reported on IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchanges.

Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus

Investment and insurance products and services are offered through INFINEX INVESTMENTS, INC. Member FINRA (Opens in a new Window)/SIPC (Opens in a new Window).  UniVest Financial Services is a trade name of UniBank. Infinex and UniBank are not affiliated. Products and services made available through Infinex are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States and are not deposits or obligations of, nor guaranteed or insured by, any bank or bank affiliate. These products are subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of value.